Monday, November 13, 2006

They're not God..

... they're just parents! And much as we idolized them when we were little, they're still only human!

When I was in school, they couldn't do anything wrong... by the time I reached college, they couldn't do anything right! I remember my college years full of strife with my parents. I remember the arguments, my accusations that they were trying to control my life and run it for me, that they wouldn't let me take my own decisions, that they didn't treat me like an adult... There'd be heated arguments which would end in tears and heartburn. I went through a period of intense disillusionment - how could they do this to me? Hadn't they said they wanted me to be independant, to think for myself? Then why were they trying to control me? Why had they become hypocrites?

When I left home after I found a job in Pune, I slowly began to realise a few things. They had loved and supported me through the blunders I had committed after (and indeed, even before) I became 'independant'. When they questioned me, it was not out of their lack of trust in me, but because of their incessantly worrying about me. Most importantly, it dawned on me, that perhaps I'd been as difficult for them to handle, as they'd been for me! After all, they were only people! Perhaps, when they had their first child, me, they didn't quite know what to do with me, or even what to expect! Weren't even they learning, as they attempted to teach me?

When I look at the years that have passed since I have been away from home, I see numerous instances where I've fumbled, even fallen at times, but each time, I've had the strength to stand up again, and every single time they have supported me unquestioningly. I see people around me afraid of following their mind, and I silently thank my parents for having made me capable of independant thought, for having given me a spine. For all my parents' supposed shortcomings, they've given me what most parents fail to give their children - a fair chance in this world where only the fittest can survive. They've let me make my mistakes, and have taken care that I learn from them without getting bitter.

In return, I think it's only fair that I let them step down from the pedestal and just let them be people - people who are allowed to make a mistake or two, people who deserve to be loved never the less. After all, godliness is God's business - I'm happy with my two precious human beings!

4 Comments:

At 11:32 AM, Blogger an autumn leaf for all seasons said...

maybe you should stop sitting under the Bodhi tree hereafter :P

 
At 11:39 AM, Blogger Rashmi said...

Oh no! Most definitely not! I'm going to pass on ALL the pearls of wisdom I have... (maybe someone else can use them!) ha ha!

 
At 12:23 AM, Blogger Premlata. said...

You have written this long time back but i had the opportunity to read it only today. Every sentence was so real and a replica of my past :). I think most of us would have gone thru this phase. While reading I felt like these are MY thoughts. Now that I am away from home and my parents for more than 3.5 yrs, i realise how important they are and how some of their wrongs turned out right.
you are awesome Rashmi :)

 
At 2:44 PM, Blogger Rashmi said...

Wow! Thanks... and thanks for reminding me I'd writting this. Sometimes, one needs to go back a little in time and sift through thoughts to clear the cobwebs on the mind... (pardon the mixed metaphor!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home